Sunday, June 13, 2010

Haiti here I come! I am in the process of getting myself organised before leaving for Haiti this coming Sunday 20 June. This means sorting out my work to make sure everything is taken care off over the next month and the biggest challenge is to clear my desk! Despite all the information I have received from Robyn and via Ross' and Steve's blogs I feel that I am going into the unknown.Over the weekend I finally managed to sit down and write a list of what I think I should take. I have been to the warehouse and have bought torches, a headlight and a supply of batteries for the power cuts, have taken my first dose of chloroquine ( although a bit late) and have been gathering old surgical instruments and used orthopaedic equipment donated by Dunedin Hospital. As the need in Haiti is so great it all feels to me like a drop in the ocean. However anything will come in handy I think and even if it benefits only one patient it will have been worthwhile.
I have also been reading the local Haitien newspapers on line to find out what is happening with the post earthquake reconstruction and also to get a sense of the political situation. I even managed to listen to some Haitien music for a short period of time until the family thought that I had used up their patience.
Well this is my first post on my first ever blog and I will try to keep it updated with interesting information and photos over the next 5 weeks. If you enjoy it please send me some feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment