Wednesday, April 9, 2014

And life goes on!


My day started with a teaching ward round where the residents teach the medical students. This is mainly based on revision of the relevant anatomy to the clinical case and their knowledge of anatomy is reasonable compared to our students. We saw 2 post-operative patients from yesterday and they were both progressing well.



                                                                      
 

After seeing a patient in ED with a serious machete injury to his forearm it was time to head to the outpatient clinic. There I saw another young child with severe bilateral knock knee with no underlying bony abnormality and this is the 3rd case in ten days! This seems to be a very common problem here although the residents told me they hadn’t seen many cases in the past. The rest of the patients were routine trauma cases including some follow up of femoral fractures. Since my last visit the hospital has been equipped with the SIGN nailing system which allows locking of the nail without image intensification and has been specifically designed for developing countries. It has hand reamers and the procedure can be done entirely without requiring power. However the nailing has to be done open. This is certainly a step forward and clinical outcomes are good



One size fits all



As the clinic wasn’t very busy there was time for teaching. I gave them a presentation on congenital pseudarthrosis of the tibia, having seen 3 cases since I arrived, and a talk on neurological conditions presenting in an orthopaedic clinic, of which I also have seen a couple. I finished the session with some clinical cases. I must say all the Haitian doctors are very keen to learn and appreciate any teaching I provide them with. As the pathology here is quite different here compared to New Zealand I have to adjust the teaching topics to what is relevant here. There is no point me talking to them about hip and knee replacements as arthritis is rare and that type of surgery is not done here at the hospital.

Tomorrow I am off to Port au Prince for a meeting on Fracture Treatment in Haiti organised by the SIGN group from the United States. On Saturday I will fly to Guadeloupe which is a French Island to visit some very good friends which I haven’t seen for 25 years. Guadeloupe is not too far from here (about the same distance between Dunedin and Auckland) and it takes about 2.5 hours by plane.

I am looking forward to my little adventure!

1 comment:

  1. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Lupus.
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.
    Or Text me on +1-502-2334-479 for more expliant.

    ReplyDelete