Thursday, April 24, 2014

Last days!


The Monday outpatient clinic was very busy as a result of the long Easter weekend and things were more chaotic than usual. There is no appointment system here in Haiti and people just turn up. There is only one consulting and one plaster room and often 2 or 3 people are being seen in the same room: the concept of privacy doesn’t feature highly here!

Before

 
 
And after
 
My first patient was a follow up from an operation I did 2 years ago. This lady had a very deformed forearm following a plating of the radius and ulna which had failed. She was very pleased to show me her arm which was now straight and functional. There were a whole range of cases: tibial non union, acromioclavicular dislocation, unreduced shoulder dislocation, septic arthritis of the knee in a young child, valgus knees in children, arm and fore arm fractures etc.







After the clinic visited the local orthotic and artificial limb centre and was taken for a visit by the manager who is from Togo and who has been working in developing countries for many years. As I worked in Togo for a year 35 plus years ago we had a great chat about Togo and the current state of affairs of this tiny West African nation. They have a very good workshop and they make all sorts of plastic splints ( note the black colour of the plastic!!) and above and below knee artificial limbs. A great team doing an excellent job with support from outside Haiti of course.

My last operating list started with a patient of Ogedad’s who had a large intramuscular lipoma seated deeply inside the leg which had been increasing in size over many years. Xrays showed a marked thinning of the fibula from the chronic pressure effect. I helped Ogedad do the operation and I was impressed by his surgical skills. The next case was a child with a congenital pseudarthrosis of the tibia but when I got to the operation room they had called for another case with a forearm fracture which was a friend of the medical director of the hospital. Here in Haiti there is no fairness in the system! You need to know people in high places to get anything done: they call this ‘piston’.



I was really disappointed that nobody even cared to talk to me about this and as a result I was unable to show the residents how to do this procedure. As it was early afternoon there was no way that this child would be done that day. He will be sent home and probably be left with a severely deformed leg which will be ignored by the orthopaedic surgeons here because they have no knowledge of how to deal with these problems. I decided it was time to call it a day.




Milot hospital



Ogedad doing the ward round

 
Robyn picked me up from the hospital and we drove to Milot where Ogedad is currently doing a locum. Sacre Coeur Hospital in Milot is run by Catholic Nuns and much better equipped  and organised than Justinien Hospital in Cap. I sat in Ogedad’s outpatient clinic and after that he took us around the hospital. The wards looked much cleaner and less crowded and the orthopaedic equipment excellent including an image intensifier. They have surgical teams flying in from the States every week and this week it was urology. They bring their whole team and take over the operating theatre. They don’t do any teaching and basically do not contribute at all to the development of the Haitian surgical workforce! When Ogedad wanted to book some acute cases he was told by the anaesthetic nurse in no certain terms that only Caesarean sections were done out of hours. So there you go again!

Future ITTP building


Indonesian MINUSTAH contingent



Today on my last day I did some teaching at the Institute for Technicians in Physical Therapy. We first checked out the progress of the building being done up by the UN. We were very pleased with the progress and noticed that all the ceilings inside had been lined with plywood and that they were waiting for the windows and doors. The Indonesian soldiers were extremely pleasant young men and one of them spoke good English. There were also 3 Chilean soldiers there who were responsible for the security of the site and they didn’t appear so welcoming. However after we spoke to them in broken Spanish they started smiling a little!
 
 
 

The teaching session was well received by the students and they asked very good questions. I taught on fractures and went through some of the cases I had seen in the clinic here at the hospital over the last month. The students showed their appreciation by singing a song of thanks at the end of the teaching session.
 
 

At the end of the day I attended an ITTP School Committee Meeting where a was thanked for my contribution to the school and teaching of orthopaedic surgery at Justinien Hospital.

Well my time here in Cap Haitien has come to an end and I am off to Santiago by bus and back to NZ via the States on Friday. I must say that despite all the frustrations I am pleased by the progress which has been made since my last visit. I enjoyed teaching the orthopaedic residents and it was very satisfying to see what a skillful surgeon Ogedad has become. He is indeed one of the future orthopaedic leaders of this country.
Ogedad, his wife Christna and myself
 
My greatest thanks as always have to go to Robyn who has been outstanding. Without all her background organisation, her contacts, her Creole language skills and her great sense of humour my stay wouldn’t have been the same. Also many thanks to Bernadette for her very tasty Haitian cooking and for her happy smile! Thanks to Steve, Lorraine , Jo and Claire for their wonderful company.


Couscous prepared by Bernadette

Miss RO the shining light


I am also very grateful to the United Nations and the Indonesian contingent of the MINUSTAH in Cap Haitien for their work on the school building in Riviere Salee. They have done a great job!

Finally thanks to Hearts and Hands for Haiti and all the sponsors and supporters of our project. Without your help and prayers we wouldn’t have been able to get this project off the ground!

Au revoir Haiti. I will miss you until I return!

9 comments:

  1. Very nice job! I am very thankful and respect all the orthopedic surgeons because without them those people who are suffering from bone dislocation they can’t manage to have a normal life cause they were being disabled from their whole life. My dad is one of them and he is very thankful for his surgeon that placidway.com recommended to him. He can manage to walk normal now!!! The orthopedic surgeon gives my dad a new life and a new hope….

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like it was a very helpful trip. I am glad you were able to help so many people! Having training as an orthopedic surgeon is a great way to go forth and serve a population that is suffering. Thanks for going and doing this!

    Spencer James | http://www.orthocareonline.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog has been so fun to look over! I love all the pictures you take. It must feel so wonderful to help those in Haiti. You are doing a wonderful job! http://www.orthoclinic.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is so inspiring that you went to help all of those people. I love traveling, but being able to help people while going to a beautiful country would be an amazing experience. I would love to do something like that one day! http://www.westernorthopaedics.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost wasn't able to look at the first picture of your post! I'm so glad that her arm is straight and functional now. That first picture just looks so painful! That's awesome that you were able to help so many people. My brother just went with a group of doctors and dentists to the Phillippines to help out there. He loved the experience! http://www.footanklesurgerynyc.com/meet-dr-hubbard/

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister broke her arm yesterday and it looked just like that first picture! I can't even imagine how painful that would be. It's good that they were able to correct her arm through orthopedic surgery. It's pretty amazing that she has a functional arm now with little range of motion restriction. Whoever the doctors were, they did an excellent job. Hopefully my sister gets a surgeon like those ones. http://www.sturdymemorial.org/serv_surgery.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great information you have shared in this blog. With this best orthopedic surgeons in India and arrange complete treatment at affordable cost. This is one of the best place where patients can find a best solution for their problems.

    ReplyDelete